Hey, you, get off of my cloud.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Scotch, Scotch, Scotch

In the immortal words of Ron Burgandy I love scotch. Okay, love is pretty strong, but I do enjoy a nice glass of scotch from time to time. So here is installment one in a-perhaps-never-to-be-continued series of reviews.

As a Christmas present from my girlfriend's dad I received a bottle of The Peat Monster (if you need a gift for a guy named Pete just stop reading and buy him this). According to its makers "The Peat Monster combines extremely smoky malt whisky from Islay with medium-peated Highland whiskies to create a balanced and approachable monster..." which is absolutely right. If you love smokey scotch this is for you. If you don't really like scotch then you should keep your distance.

My personal recommendation would be to use The Peat Monster as to follow other scotches, as it's strong taste may be a bit much for the first drink of the night, but it's got a great flavour that really sets it apart.

The Peat Monster is a creation of Compass Box Whisky and I'm anxious to try some of their other products; especially Asyla.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scotch is the gift that keeps on giving.

December 28, 2006 2:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you get weary of pickling your gizzard...I recommend trying some Belgian beers! ( Gulden Draak & Hoegaarden are really excellent )!

I will however, try that peat monster.
Cheers....

December 28, 2006 3:53 PM

 
Blogger Matt said...

White beers aren't really my thing, but I will keep an eye our for Gulden Draak - sadly the State Liquor Depository has a pretty limited selection of Belgian Beer.

My personal favourite is Brugse Zot which, so far as I know, is only available in Belgium.

December 28, 2006 4:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you old enough to drink such strong spirits?

December 29, 2006 2:24 PM

 
Blogger Matt said...

It's the secret to my youthful appearance.

December 29, 2006 3:55 PM

 
Blogger Liam O'Brien said...

Highland Park 18yo or Gelnfiddich Solera . . . ah tasty water of life . . .

January 11, 2007 8:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home